Wednesday, December 22, 2004

 

Allow me to critique the current independent news cycle.

And let me give you a digital expression of a dastardly piece of wax, The Boyz In The Hood by N.W.A.. And two actual pieces of jazz I really like, very rare. Not the pieces, that I like jazz. John Haley Sims and Harry Sweets Edison on the great Pablo label do Nature Boy and How Deep Is The Ocean. And just somethin' else. 1.6 band's Back In Church.
I had a dream. Not my normal dream where I can't breathe or walk and I'm pulling myself along the ground by my fingers. I had a dream of the farflung future, a millenia or more away. Some dudes and foxy ladies sitting around on beanbag chairs talking about their impressive classic record collections, so I jump right in and they've never heard of ANYTHING I mention, nothing, not a thing. It's like the music never existed, and more importantly, where is my dream self gonna get a copy of Nils Lofgren's No Mercy? He's not. It was not a good dream. But I'm so used to constant bad dreams, um.... There will be no post of No Mercy as my copy is the tip top peak of my 'to be replaced even by buying it' list.

Now for the journalistic critique. But first allow me to clarify a confusion about Americans, as one I will speak for them all. Americans are accused of being ignorant, malicious, and stupid. While these criticisms are understandable, none of these are the causative elements to the symptoms of Americans acting ignorant, malicious, and stupid. The cause is.....we don't care, we may be the most externally indifferent society ever, we really don't care about OTHER people, we have our government to take care of our messy stuff so we can jacuzzi. We don't care. And those we seem to care about, enemies, aren't real, but funhouse mirror foils. Just more looking at ourself. I should know, you may have noticed I have personal issues with indifference and empathy.

Now the critique. Here's the meat. Everyday the indy news media outlets are doing a very good job documenting story after story of war related brutality, of the combat type or the interrogative torture type. New pictures, (oh god new pictures, the one of the guy with one, just one, leg gnawed down to clean gleaming white tibia and femur was like a real-life zombie cartoon), new witnesses, new participants, new reports (did you know 'a weapons-free zone' is the delineation used to identify a zone where a soldier is free to do as they please with their weapon? No sh!ttin'.), all sorts of sensational nasty sh!t.

So what's the problem, that all sounds like bleeding leading gristle for the mill. The news mill. NOPE. It's all old stories. Two stories to be precise. Abu Gahraib and torture, gotcha. We're not outraged, just good listeners. And please, when you insist on elucidating on a story don't expect the same or more reaction as the first time. You know the time with all the really good pictures. Go here-Do A Lynddie-I think it's an effing riot.

Back to the news. So you were telling me about the battlefield brutality. AGAIN. Gotcha, blown up hospitals, forcing civilians into a combat zone, executions. Gotcha. Gotcha, Gawd damn I got it. I'd really like a new news item.

Do you get it? Elucidation, repetition, big neon bloody child graphics, none of it will change the fact that we don't care. We didn't care. We don't care. And we're certainly not going to care. So please let's get some new news going. Ideally somethin' about an intern.

There is one scratch on the NWA track.

And now.
Rhetoricpig's Best Book Of The Millenium Award, for the millenium between 1001 and 2000.
And the winner is......
G.K. Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday.
Congratulations G.

Comments:
A dead intern?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?